Wing Canyon Vineyard is a very small and remote bonded winery and steep hillside vineyard located near the top of Mt. Veeder. Access to the home and winery is a winding gravel road down a canyon, over a creek and through the redwoods.
BRIEF HISTORY: Wing Canyon has played a major role in the evolution of Mt. Veeder as a prominent wine-producing region. From vineyards to carp farm, popular resort to a camp for the blindWing Canyon has been home to valley pioneers and visitors for over a century. Captain Stalhan Wing produced the first Mt Veeder wine, which he entered into the Napa County Fair in 1864. He was also known for his carp, thousands of which he raised in man-made ponds amongst the vineyards.
In 1983 we purchased 160 acres of mostly steep, wooded land above Wing Canyon on Mt. Veeder. By 1986 ten acres were cleared, terraced and planted with cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc, merlot and chardonnay. The vineyard has always been tended within the guidelines of organic, sustainable farming. Cover crops such as mustard, rose and crimson clovers provide home for many beneficial insects while improving soil quality. The vines are dry farmed which reduces yields but produces intense concentrated wines.
WINERY: The winery was completed in 1991, just in time for the harvest of our first vintage. We produced 380 cases that year! Twenty-two vintages later, and we are still producing less than 1000 cases per year. The winery is a 20 by 37 foot rammed earth building with a large barn-slider on the porch side and matching arched redwood (wine tank wood) doors on either end. The 2 foot thick rammed earth walls help maintain the cool, even temperatures required for optimum barrel aging for the one hundred barrels stacked three high inside.
Adjacent to the winery is our residence, which serves as tasting room, office, labeling area and storage facility.
Kathy and Bill Jenkins
Just Wine partners with the finest bars, restaurants, wineries and retailers from around the world!