St. James's Palace: A fine example of brick-built Tudor architecture. It takes its name from a leper hospital dedicated to St. James the Less which stood here from the 12th century. St James's Palace became the official residence of the Monarch in 1699 until it gave place to Buckingham Palace; foreign ambassadors are still accredited to the "court of St James's".
Buckingham Palace: Located just across Green Park, on our doorstep, Buckingham Palace has served as the official London residence of Britain's sovereigns since 1837 and today is the administrative headquarters of the Monarch.
Horse Guards Building: Located on Whitehall near Downing Street and St. James Park, the Horse Guards Building is the home of the Queen's Household Cavalry Regiment. There is a daily "Changing of the Guards" ceremony at 11:00 am (Mon-Sat) 10:00 am (Sun).
Marlborough House: The House was built in 1711 for the Duchess of Marlborough using only red bricks from Holland. In 1817 it came to the Crown and after being tenanted by various members of the royal family, it was, in 1852, provided by Queen Victoria to house a school of design. Marlborough House became the residence of the Prince of Wales (King Edward VII), and afterwards of Queen Alexandra. It is now the residence of the Commonwealth Secretariat.
Spencer House: The house was designed for the 1st Earl Spencer by John Vardy in 1756. After 1927 it was rented to a number of tenants, but was leased in 1985 to the Rothschild Company which restored the house for £18 million. From its conception, Spencer House was recognised as one of the most ambitious aristocratic town houses ever built in London and is, today, the city's only great eighteenth-century private palace to survive intact.
St James's Church: The Church was built in 1674-86 by Christopher Wren for his friend Henry Jermyn. At the Restoration Jermyn had obtained permission from the King to develop the area known as St James's Fields. This new parish church was a rare instance in London when Wren worked on a new site. It has a lime wood altar and a marble font, both carved by Grin ling Gibbons. The spire was added in 1686, but rebuilt in 1699-1700 and replaced with a fibreglass replica in 1968. The church had to be restored after bomb damage at which time the churchyard became a garden of remembrance. It now provides a location for a market Wed - Sat 10-6 (antiques & collectables on Tuesday 8-6).
Just Wine partners with the finest bars, restaurants, wineries and retailers from around the world!