About Edmonton’s Food Bank
- Works collaboratively with more than 230 agencies, churches and food depots throughout Edmonton, such as Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society, Our House Addiction Recovery, Crystal Kids, Bissell Centre and Hope Mission. These agencies receive food from our warehouse to assist their clients.
- Serves almost 20,000 people per month through our hamper programs.
- In addition, over 500,000 meals and snacks are provided monthly through our affiliated agencies.
- Provides food to 43 high risk schools for lunch & snack programs in Edmonton.
- Approximately 40 percent of our clients are children under the age of 18.
- Provides food for special festive meals to the community.
- Supports community events such as Edmonton’s bi-annual Homeless Connect.
- More than 2,000 events are coordinated each year to raise food and funds to support our mission. These events also raise awareness of the solvable problem of hunger in our community.
- Collected, sorted, repackaged, and redistributed 3.5 million kilograms of food in 2015. The approximate value of this food is $19,250,000.
- Receives some program funding from the United Way with no core government funding.
- Provides warehouse space for our provincial association, Alberta Food Banks.
- Is a recognized teaching facility for Concordia University’s Environmental Health Program.
- Proudly recognizes the appointment of their Executive Director Marjorie Bencz, as a member of the Order of Canada and herr induction into the City of Edmonton Hall of Fame.
- Accredited under Imagine Canada’s Standards Program for showing excellence and compliance in five key areas of operations:Board governance, financial accountability & transparency, fundraising, staff management, and volunteer involvement (Imagine Canada Standards Program).
- In 2015, more than 68,000 volunteer hours were contributed.
- Volunteers assist with warehouse duties such as sorting, repackaging food and packing food hampers. They also act as ambassadors for the Food Bank at special events and fundraisers
Just Wine partners with the finest bars, restaurants, wineries and retailers from around the world!