In 1719 Jean-Pierre du Pontet, advisor to the King, acquired Domaine Perganson at an auction sale, to add to Langoa and Canet which he already owned. When he died he left his lands at Saint Julien to his elder son Mr Pontet de Canet, and his land and château at Saint Laurent to his younger son, Mr Pontet-Perganson.
The first mention of the wines from Perganson, by the broker Lawton, refers to the 1742 vintage, and its price placed it regularly at the level of the future 5th classified crus. The name Larose appeared in the 1830s after Henry Delaroze, co-heir of the future Gruaud-Larose at Saint-Julien, became proprietor of Perganson in 1815, and Pontet-Perganson became Larose-Perganson.
Prosperity, passage through the hands of several owners, then the ravages of phylloxera and mildew took their toll on the viticultural vocation of the property. Larose-Perganson was only restored its former glory in 1963 when the vineyard was advised by a renowned viticultural specialist, Professor Émile Peynaud.
IN THE PORTFOLIO OF ALLIANZ
In 1986, the insurance company Assurances Allianz bought the domain, impressed by the great potential of its ‘terroir’.
In 2007, Allianz also acquired Château Arnauld Cru Bourgeois du Haut-Médoc, situated at Arcins, between Margaux and Moulis. The property is on some of the best gravel soils on the edge of the Gironde river; a terroir which has also made the reputation of its neighbours, Chateau Chasse Spleen and Chateau Poujeaux.
In 2009, following a large scale investment programme, the technical facilities at the Arcin site were developed to enable the separate winemaking, barrel ageing, bottling and storage for Châteaux Larose-Perganson and Arnauld.
Just Wine partners with the finest bars, restaurants, wineries and retailers from around the world!