In 1919, Louis-Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle - inventor of the GRAND MARNIER® liqueur - as a tribute to the city where he was born, bought the Château and part of its vines. He restored the vaults and the stone-built spiral staircase of the “Tour des Fiefs” and transformed the former outbuildings into a winery, expandeding the vineyards, all the while contributing actively to making Château de Sancerre wine renowned.
The Château de Sancerre, located in the heart of the vineyard, is the only castle in the Sancerre area. It was built in the Xth century by the Count of Champagne and today, the Feudal Tower (Tour des Fiefs) is the only remaining vestige of the medieval castle. In 1874, the castle was rebuilt in Louis XII style.
Sancerre is located about 2 hours south of Paris. Sancerre’s wine production first started in the 11th century. In 1936, Sancerre was officially added to the noble family of great French wines with its addition to the appellation of guaranteed origin (AOC). The principle varietals of Sancerre are Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir. Sauvignon Blanc is particularly well-suited to the region of Sancerre thanks to a temperate micro-climate and stony, warm and well-drained soil. According to most connoisseurs, nowhere else does Sauvignon Blanc attain such vigor, such verve and fullness and such inimitable finesse than in Sancerre.
Just Wine partners with the finest bars, restaurants, wineries and retailers from around the world!