Its history is intimately linked to the history of France, most particularly that of the Languedoc region, and to its very rich past and historical remains dating back to the Roman occupation. Under Louis the XIVth, the Château of Paraza served as a base for the engineer Pierre Paul Riquet during part of the building of the canal connecting the Mediterranean sea to the Atlantic Ocean, thus named “Canal du Roy” (Canal of the King) or “Canal des Deux Mers” (Canal of the Two Seas). During this period, he oversaw the building of the first canal bridge to span the “Répudre”, the first construction in the world where two water-ways crossed. To thank his hosts for their six years of hospitality at the château, Paul Riquet had the seven terraces built, leading down from the gardens of the castle just up to the canal now know as the Canal du Midi. It was also agreed upon that he would marry his daughter to the Baron Jougla of Paraza, then councilor of the Parliament in Toulouse.
In 1682, King Louis XIV arrived to officially inaugurate the canal, and he boarded at the barge at Porto del Roubio and then stayed at the Chateau de Paraza. The Canal of Two Seas is actually known under the name of Canal du Midi and it is recognized as a World Heritage by UNESCO.
Before becoming essentially a viticulture-based estate, the property was known for multiple activities, including the cultivation of olive products, grain harvests, as well as the breeding of large herds of sheeps. At the time, the Canal was used for the transport of passengers and cargo on boats pulled by horses, or even sometimes by humans.
Just Wine partners with the finest bars, restaurants, wineries and retailers from around the world!