It is a very old “locality”. “Carona” comes from the Gallic “little spring”. As for Sainte-Gemme is the linguistic evolution of Saint-Jaime or James as evidenced by the maps of the eighteenth century.
The vineyard was first reported in 1648 when a local landlord, Denis de Mullet of La Tour StLambert rented it to a farmer in exchange for the wines produced. Caronne is derived from “Carona” the name of a local spring source, and Gemme a corruption of “James”.
In the middle-ages the locality was a parish on the grounds of a subsidiary to the Templar Headquaters at nearby Benon a few kilometers inland. Pilgrims on their way to Saint Jacques de Compostelle, having crossed the estuary from Blaye, would rest here before continuing their way across the Landes to the Spanish Border.
The Parish was abolished during the Revolution and it is about this time that the first records of wine production at Caronne appear. In 1900 ownership of Caronne passed to Emile and Eugène Borie. The sons of Eugène would later cede their shares to their uncle and purchase Ch. Batailley and later Ducru-Beaucaillou while Emile’s descendents would remain the sole owners of Caronne until this day.
The property is now managed by Jean, grandson of Emile and François, his nephew.
Just Wine partners with the finest bars, restaurants, wineries and retailers from around the world!