The finest things in life are often hidden away, in fact the Castello Romitorio winery takes its name from the massive twelfth-century fortress that sits atop a hill surrounded by thick oak forest in Northwestern Montalcino. Its name suggests that the edifice served multiple uses throughout its history probably as fortress as well as Monastery, making it a location that is remote in time and space.
Abandoned in the 1950’s its rebirth as a winery occurred in 1984 when Artist Sandro Chia acquired the estate from his friend Baron Giorgio Franchetti. The restoration of ‘Castello Romitorio’ began immediately, followed by the transformation of its overgrown lands into vineyards, and the construction of a cellar on the Castle’s ground floor. Twenty years later in the year 2006, the winery broke ground on a new state-of-the art underground cellar completed in 2007.
Just Wine partners with the finest bars, restaurants, wineries and retailers from around the world!