The first information we have on Scopeto, as a fortified rural settlement, dates back to the beginning of the year 1000, when the estate and surrounding agricultural land belonged to the episcopacy of Sienna.
The name Scopeto almost certainly comes from the presence in the woods of Erica scoparia, a shrub used to make brooms and besoms. The square stone tower, used as a defensive watch tower, dates back to 1200 and originally it stood alongside other fortified structures.
In the early fourteenth century, the Sozzini family, an old and illustrious Siennese dinasty, obtained the property from the Church, and it remained in their possession for more than five centuries without interruption.
Under the new owners, the farm became a flourishing agricultural centre and was soon converted to vine-growing for wine and, at the same time, it became a meeting-place for humanists, artists and writers. The Sozzini family was interested in theological studies, gave hospitality to dissident men of religion and for a long period even had to counter accusations of heresy by the curia of Sienna.
The property grew in size and importance. The fortified buildings gave way to a large country-seat, to which were added the farmers and peasants dwellings, forming the structural lay-out we have today The Sozzini family, which kept the property until the mid-nineteenth century, developed a wine production of a certain importance but only in more recent times did Borgo Scopeto improve the quality and begin to bottle its own wines. It was with the 1990 vintage that a Chianti Classico with the Borgo Scopeto label first appeared on the market.
Borgo Scopeto is an estate covering an area of 503 hectares (1243 acres), located in the Siennese commune of Castelnuovo Berardenga, at an altitude of between 350 and 420 metres (1,148 and 1,377 feet) above sea level, prevalently on clayey-marly rocks, with arenaceous elements bonded with limestone.
Some 70 hectares (166 acres) of the estate are currently planted with vines, olive trees cover 50 hectares (123 acres). The buildings of the "Borgo" and other rural constructions cover a surface area of 6 hectares whilst the remaining 350 hectares are woodland.
The most interesting part of the "Borgo", comprising noble residences with elegant gardens and numerous buildings once used for crafts and rural work, dates back to the Middle Ages and also boasts a wealth of architectural and artistic testimony from various later periods.
All the buildings forming the old town centre of the Village have been completely restored with a careful conservative restoration work re-using vintage materials carried out by specialists. All the most important constructions are destined to accommodate a high-quality level hotel structure - the Relais - inserted in the environmental context without changing its original architectural value and special atmosphere.
Just Wine partners with the finest bars, restaurants, wineries and retailers from around the world!