A delicious creamy mushroom risotto is perfect for a cozy night in — especially with the right wine pairing.
Here’s a great recipe we found for a the best wild mushroom risotto and a perfect wine to go match up with all the delicious flavours. This recipe uses traditional Italian Arborio Rice. Not sure what Arborio rice is? That’s okay, scroll to the bottom and we’ll tell you exactly what it is and why you should use it.
Wild Mushroom Risotto Recipe
This Recipe Serves 4
Ingredients for Wild Mushroom Risotto
5 cups or more chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
2 cups rough chopped wild mushrooms (whatever you can get your hands on)
2 medium, vine ripe tomatoes, coarsely diced
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and Pepper to taste
What is Arborio Rice?
An Italian-grown grain with high-starch kernels.
Shorter & fatter than any other short-grain rice.
Traditionally used for Risotto because the high starch
gives this classic dish the necessary creamy texture.
How to Prepare Wild Mushroom Risotto
- Prepare all your ingredients before hand.
- Bring chicken broth and white wine to a simmer together in a small saucepan. Reduced heat to low and keep broth hot. Heat olive oil and butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and mushrooms and sauté until the onions are translucent. Remove from the pan and set aside until later.
- Adding a bit more butter and olive oil to the pan, add the rice and stir until rice is coated and shiny.
- Add just enough chicken stock so that the rice is covered with the liquid, stirring occasionally until the liquid is almost completely absorbed. Continue adding the chicken stock in batches to the rice, until rice is tender, but still slightly firm in the centre, and the mixture is creamy.
- Once that is done, remove from heat, stir in onions and mushrooms from earlier, the grated parmesan cheese and nutmeg. Add the diced tomatoes. Season risotto to taste with salt and pepper.
The Best Wine to Pair with Mushroom Risotto
Rioja wine from Spain is made with the Tempranillo grape variety and has beautiful flavours and aromas of dark fruit, earthiness and mushrooms! It’s the perfect wine for any mushroom-based dish.
JustWine Recommends this Rioja Reserva