Try Reisling Wine if You Like Chenin Blanc.
Overview of Riesling Wine
A variety of styles from bone dry to very sweet. High in acidity and very aromatic.
How To Pronounce the grape Reisling: REES-ling
Why We Like Riesling Wine
- It’s complex and varies depending on the region and the winemaking style, but always has racy, mouthwatering acidity.
- Aged Riesling develops this weird “Petrol” (gasoline) aroma but then has a delicious honey-apricot flavour.
Flavours and Aromas of the Riesling Variety
- Fruit: Green apple, Lime, Pear, Apricot, Mango
- Floral: Honeysuckle, Jasmine
- Spice: Smoke, Honey, Marzipan, Beeswax
- Earth: Petrol, Moss, Wet Leaves, Fresh Mushroom
Where in the World Does the Riesling Grape Grow?
Old World Riesling Regions
- Alsace, France
- Hungary, Moldova, Ukraine
New World Riesling Regions
- Oregon & Washington, USA
Riesling Wine’s Perfect Food Pairings
- Asian dishes
- Spicy food (with off-dry and sweeter styles of Riesling)
- Desserts (with sweeter styles of Riesling)
- Chicken and Fish
- Glazed Ham (with off-dry style of Riesling)
Interesting Facts About the Riesling Grape:
Some of the most age worthy wine in the world is made from the Riesling variety.
Other Names for the Riesling Varietal:
Watch out for other names tied to Riesling that are completely different grape varieties, like Welschriesling (unrelated).
Our Favourite Finds for Riesling Wine
Dig Deeper: Learn More About Riesling.
Like Riesling? Try A Similar Grape Variety: Grüner Veltliner.