Try Merlot Wine if You Like Malbec.
Overview of Merlot Wine
Medium to full body wine with medium tannin and acidity. Flavours of plum and chocolate.
How To Pronounce the grape Merlot: Mehr-LŌ
Why We Like Merlot Wine
- It’s a wallflower that can knock your socks off when it’s good quality.
- Some of the most sought after and most expensive wine in the world is Merlot (ex: Petrus)
Flavours and Aromas of the Merlot Variety
- Fruit: plum, black cherry, huckleberry
- Floral: violet,
- Herbal: dill, sage
- Other: clay, earthy, cedar, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, fruitcake
Where in the World Does the Merlot Grape Grow?
Old World Merlot Regions
- Bordeaux, France
- Italy (esp Tuscany)
New World Merlot Regions
- USA (California, Washington)
Merlot Wine’s Perfect Food Pairings
- Cheddar cheese
- Pork Tenderloin
Interesting Facts About the Merlot Grape:
It was thought to be widely grown in Chile, until Viña Carmen discovered it was a different grape variety, Carmenere!
In the 2004 blockbuster movie “Sideways,” the main character announces that he’s not drinking Merlot, no matter what – he hates Merlot. In the end, the one wine he has cellared and been saving for a special occasion is a very pricey Merlot-based Bordeaux, Chateau Cheval Blanc 1961.
Other Names for the Merlot Varietal:
Our Favourite Finds for Merlot Wine
- Duckhorn Vineyards Three Palms Vineyard 2014 Merlot
- Ehlers Estate Merlot
Dig Deeper: Learn More About Merlot.
Like Merlot? Try A Similar Grape Variety: Nero D’Avola