Mac and Cheese is an American staple. Whether you love a good homemade baked mac and cheese or would prefer to create your pasta with the help of a good ol’ box of Kraft Dinner– Macaroni and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food and what better to pair with comfort food than wine!
So, what’s the best wine to pair with Mac ‘n’ Cheese?
The Perfect Wine Pairing for Macaroni & Cheese is an Oaked Chardonnay!
For a delicious, ooey gooey mac and cheese dish, an oaked Chardonnay would be the best match. Why? The rich, buttery flavour mirrors the rich, cheesiness of the dish and the mouthwatering acidity in Chardonnay cuts through the creamy texture. With flavours of apple, lemon and pastry along with hints of nuttiness, a Chardonnay wine is a great pairing for Mac n’ Cheese.
Easy Homemade Oven Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe
Want to take a step up from your box mac n’ cheese? Try out this deliciously cheesy homemade macaroni and cheese pasta recipe that will pair perfectly with your oaked Chardonnay!
Recommended Chardonnay wine to pair with Mac and Cheese Pasta: Tinhorn Creek Vineyards Chardonnay
Ingredients for Oven Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe
1 pound elbow pasta noodles
1/3 cup butter, plus 2 tablespoons set aside
1/3 cup flour
1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
4 cups milk
2 cups shredded extra-old Cheddar cheese (something slightly stinky)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 bay leaf
1 cup bread crumbs
Directions For the Best Homemade Mac n’ Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F. Cook pasta according to directions on package. Drain thoroughly under cold water. Set aside.
- While your noodles are cooking, in a wide sauté pan over medium heat, add the 1/3 cup butter, onion, and bay leaf. Stir for 3 minutes, then add the flour and combine well.
- Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. cook for another 4 minutes over low heat, stirring regularly until mixture thickens.
- Add cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg, and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add cooked pasta to a casserole dish, or a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, followed by the cream sauce. Stir so that all the pasta is coated in the sauce.
- In a smaller saute pan, melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Add breadcrumbs and toss. Sprinkle over pasta mixture. Bake for 30 minutes or until breadcrumbs are nicely browned.