It sounds weird, but have you ever not wanted to finish that bottle you opened? or maybe you had a big dinner party where there was lots of unfinished, opened wine bottles. Want to know how to preserve that leftover wine for later use (like in a recipe)… Freeze it!
Wait- Does Wine Freeze?
Yes! Wine freezes. Check out our article on why and more things you can do with frozen wine.
By freezing it, we don’t mean put the bottle in the freezer. Turn your leftover wine into wine ice cubes! These are perfect for preserving wine and not letting it go to waste.
- Ice cube trays or other silicone molds
- A baking sheet
- A freezer
Important Tip: Know how much each ice cube tray or silicone mold holds, so that way when you are adding it in a recipe you’ll know exactly how much you are putting in.
How To Make Wine Ice Cubes
- Place your ice cube tray or silicone mold on baking sheets. This will provide stability for your tray.
- Pour your wine into the ice cube tray or silicone mold.
- Put your filled trays or molds in the freezer. (Deep freezers work best for Wine Ice Cubes, but standard freezers work too!)
- Leave the ice cube tray in the freezer for 24 hours. Remember that since their is alcohol in the wine, it won’t freeze as solid as a regular ice cube.
- Once the wine ice cube is frozen, remove the tray from the freezer.
- Transfer the wine ice cubes into a freezer-safe glass container, like a mason jar.
- Put back in the freezer until ready for use.
Check out our article on more things to do with frozen wine.
Want to Read More on Wine & Wine Recipes?