Ingredients for Cucumber Chili Salad
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, leaves and stems
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped (do not increase amount of doubling recipe)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 long English cucumbers, cut into semi-circles (skin optional)
- 1/2 cup finely diced shallots or red onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- sprinkling of Nigella seeds
Directions for Making Cucumber Chili Salad
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl and taste for seasoning.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and add dressing.
- Allow time for flavours of the salad and dressing to combine, about 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped peanuts and Nigella seeds.
This salad serves 4.
What are Nigella Seeds?
Also called black onion seeds, these tiny, angular, deep black seeds have a nutty, peppery flavour. They are used in India and the Middle East as a seasoning for vegetables, legumes, and breads. Nigella seeds are sometimes erroneously referred to as black cumin, an entirely different species.
Wine Pairings for Cucumber Chili Salad
- To off-set the spice, pair with a cool climate, off dry Riesling like this one from Fox Run in Finger Lakes.
- For a mouthwatering wine pairing try this zesty New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc from Cloudy Bay.
- Not into white wines? A light bodied, fruit forward red wine like this Gamay from JoieFarm in British Columbia will pair nicely.
Have you got a favourite Recipe to share with us? We’d love to pair a great wine with it and share it in our next food & wine article. Click right here to let us know and we’ll be sure to give you all the credit!